In the words of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz ‘There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home.’
- Home is where the heart is
- Make yourself at home
- A home away from home
Everyone wants to have a heavenly home, a refuge. A safe haven. So here are some things you can do right now to make you home your sanctuary.
- Remove all the things that you don’t love or bring you joy. Nothing like a good tidy up to see the real things that you value.
- Display things that bring a smile to your face – photos, travel trinkets, artwork, books, craftwork – most of these items are usually things you have good memories of, that you’ve made or gifts from special ones.
- Create rooms where people want to be – warm (or cool), inviting, comfortable, well lit – where friends enjoy visiting because the ambience is ‘just right’.
- As someone who works in the outdoors I know how important it is to be around nature. So bring nature indoors. Potted plants or fresh flowers.
- Fragrance is important for me. I burn incense all the time. Nag Champra is my favourite brand. But perhaps you like a more floral fragrance or a cinnamon one or even fragrant candles.
- Make your bedroom your sanctuary. It’s your space to retreat and a place where you can get some decent sleep. A good mattress, your favourite linen, comfortable pillows and whatever else that makes your bedroom special for you.
- Fill the cupboards with your favourite food. Fresh, tasty and something special for visitors.
- Lighting can make or break the atmosphere of a room. Lamps over central lighting. Tea lights in small alcoves. Experiment with different globes, locations and colours.
Be happier at home by making it a place in which you can connect with others.